Wednesday 5 November 2014

Adventure Time: Cobh Edition

I have lived in Cork for the majority of my life, and yet there are so many parts of this lovely county I haven't seen, and I'm on a massive journey to change that since I live in the city and have the ease and ability to get there. One day last week I was off for a few days so I decided I'd have a 'Self Love' Day and go to a place I haven't been before, namely Cobh. Ok I have been to Cobh before for twenty minutes to see one of those massive liners, but I'd never been to The Titanic museum or the Cathedral and I got to go on a train!! I love trains so much, I am the biggest child!!

The first place I headed was the Titanic Muesum, The Titanic stopped in Cobh to drop off some people (lucky them) and collect some other people.We got to see a third class and a first class bedroom and saw a piece of luggage that had been on the actual boat. The building itself was where the passengers bought their tickets and waited for the boat to arrive, so I felt as I was standing in history. 
Does anyone else get those sqaushed penny souvenirs?? I get them everywhere I can so of course when I saw one there I had to get one, again I am such a child.


I then headed to the cathedral, I thought it was odd I've seen The Basilica and not the Cathedral up the road from me, I've seen pictures of it but had never been there, same with the "Deck of Card" Houses, (23 houses built on 23 levels and all painted differnt colours like a stack.....of cards!!) and The Annie Moore Monument (Annie Moore was a girl from Cork who was the first person to reach America through Ellis Island ) 
I probably wasnt more than three hours in Cobh, it is a small place so you can see all the history and the sights quickly enough, but it was just lovely and if you ever have a few hours to spare in the cork area you should definitely head there 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment